Rose gold is something that is ruling the world right now. If you have been paying attention to the trends of the past years then you will have seen rose gold on almost everywhere. You can find rose gold home ware, pearl rose gold rings, rose gold jewelry, rose gold nail polish, and at many more places.

rose gold ring

The rose gold trend is growing ever since it got discovered. It has become a cool alternative metal for everything. Despite being the hype not many people know about rose gold. So, what exactly is this rose gold? Is it really gold? What it is made of?

In order to get all the answers to these questions, keep reading this article till the end.

What Is Rose Gold?

Rose gold is also known as pink gold or red gold because of its color. It isn’t 100% gold as it is a delicate mixture of classic yellow gold, silver, and copper metals. It is the silver and copper metals that mix together to create this magical pink hue that you are familiar with.

Is Rose Gold Actually Gold?

Yes, rose gold is actually made from gold but is not 100% gold. The higher the amount of in the piece of jewelry will indicate the purity of gold in that piece. For instance, 18 karat of gold includes 75% gold and the remaining 25% of other metals.

Why is Rose Gold a Combination of Many Metals?

As you have read above, rose gold is a mixture of silver and copper which is made by combining the specific amount of that into gold. That means the karat number is referred to as “parts” of gold within that piece.

As you may know that 24 karat is 100% gold, 18 karat gold would be 75% gold or 18 parts of the gold and 6 parts of other alloys. Where alloy means other metals added to gold to create the final product. However, in this case, rose gold is alloyed with silver and copper.

Most metals added to the pure gold serve a few purposes like the rose gold. The copper and silver added to gold give it that pink hue which is called the rose gold. While another reason that most jewelry isn’t made from 100% gold is that gold is soft metal. It is so soft that it could be bend with bare hands.

Thus jewelry made from 100% gold would bend, dent, or get destroyed by even simple wear while wearing daily. That is the reason behind adding other metals to the gold to make it durable and last longer.

Does Rose Gold Tarnish?

Tarnish means metals that lose their luster, darkens up or gets rusted due to chemical reactions with the air. Tarnish gradually occurs on the older pieces of jewelry or decor. It looks like a layer of dirt because it becomes dark and grimy with time.

Although the good news is that, rose gold doesn’t tarnish like the other pieces of jewelry but it can start to appear darker and becomes redder as the time goes. This is not because of the tarnish, it is the copper metal that becomes darker and more vintage looking.

What Types of Jewelry Can Be Made From Rose Gold?

You can make every type of jewelry that you can imagine. You can even make or get unique diamond necklaces made from rose gold. While the imagination is countless. However, it might not be as well-known as some other types of metal jewelry, it is the trend that has made the rose gold jewelries popular and more widely available.

The soft color of rose gold makes it great to pair with other types of metal in the same piece as well as with many different gemstones.

SHARE THIS POST

Comments